Black Friday. Small Business Saturday. Cyber Monday.
Three days in a row dedicated to consumerism, with just one day dedicated to giving thanks for all we’re blessed to have. ‘Tis the season!
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for capitalism. But doesn’t that ratio seem unbalanced? Shouldn’t we focus more on giving thanks, and worry less about material possessions?
Enter Giving Tuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back. On Tuesday, December 2, 2014, charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students around the world will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
It’s a simple idea. Join us and be a part of a global celebration of a new tradition of generosity.
What is Tri 4 Schools doing on #GivingTuesday?
Since our inception in 2011, we have given back nearly $17,000 in scholarships to offer children entry to our events that would otherwise not be able to participate. Kids who qualify for free or reduced lunch at their school are allowed to enter events for free, and we still make a donation of between $15-20 back to their school to fund health and fitness initiatives. We raise these funds through grants and personal donations, and this year alone, we spent $8,500 on 449 scholarships.
This year on Giving Tuesday, we hope to kick off our 2015 scholarship fund by raising $6,000, approximately 75% of our scholarship need for 2015.
How can you join our movement?
- Get Social. Giving Tuesday is a call to action manifested through social media. Check out the #GivingTuesday website to see how you can use your favorite social media platform to show your support for our campaign.
- #GivingTuesday – use this hashtag whenever you post about our campaign on Tuesday, December 2nd.
- #Tri4Schools – we’ll be tracking anyone using this hashtag on December 2nd, and we’d love to thank you for helping us spread the word!
- #UNselfie – use this hashtag and take a picture of yourself and why you’re supporting us, like this:
- Follow us. We’ll be sharing memes leading up to Giving Tuesday (12/2), as well as blog posts, tweets, and Facebook posts to make sure everyone is aware of the enormous effort happening that day. We’ll also be posting updates throughout the day on Giving Tuesday, so stay tuned to your feeds so you can see how close we are to reaching our goals! You can also read up on our effort on our website.
- Give what you can. If you feel inspired to help us provide healthy and fun opportunities for kids in need in our community, we encourage you to give on December 2nd. Even $25 can allow one child to participate in an event, and for that child, it may make all the difference in kickstarting a passion for lifelong health. You can give online or via check payable to Tri 4 Schools (937 Jenna Drive, Verona, WI 53593).