As we ride off into the sunset of 2016, we’re thankful for everyone who played a part on our team!
With the mud run now in the rear-view mirror, I’ve been working on a lot of number-crunching to determine how things shook out for our schools this year. A few really exciting things to note:
- We awarded 457 scholarships, meaning 22% of our athletes participated in our events through this program
- We served 475 kids through our Exercise to Achievement program across 14 sites from March-August, 70% of which participated via scholarship
- We had 167 schools participate this year, and for the first time ever, every school is located in our home state of Wisconsin.
- There were 20 schools who raised more than $500, which triples the budget of the average Dane County health and fitness budget!
On top of all that, we debuted our first NEW event in four years in Sun Prairie, thanks to the support of our friends at Prairie Athletic Club. We added a racing team, completely revamped our Golf Classic, and cheered on TWO athletes through the Athlete of the Year program.
None of this would be possible without the help of our TWO staff members that we brought on in 2016, Katie and Melissa. They not only allowed us to grow and run more effectively, but helped keep yours truly sane in the process.
Currently, we’re reaching out to schools to let them know how much they earned and find out how they plan to use the funding to benefit their students. We’ll also be visiting our fittest schools for each event to present them with a cool trophy, and any school that earned more than $1,000!
Our Fittest Schools in 2016
Waunakee Triathlon: Elm Lawn Elementary
Inaugural Sun Prairie Triathlon: Royal Oaks Elementary
Middleton Triathlon: Elm Lawn Elementary (two out of three triathlons this year!)
Mud Run: Lincoln Elementary (three years straight!)
Top Five Fittest Schools Overall in 2016
5. Lindbergh Elementary…77 kids
4. West Middleton Elementary…83 kids
3. Northside Elementary – Middleton…85 kids
2. Elm Lawn Elementary…111 kids
1. Lincoln Elementary School…188 kids (Third straight year – they can KEEP our traveling trophy for another year).
Congratulations to all our athletes and their schools, and thank you to parents and school staff for participating! To our amazing volunteers and sponsors, we couldn’t have done it without you! We’ll have lots to share with you in the coming months regarding our 2017 season. We’ve got some things to work on, and we can’t wait to share solutions with you all.